One of the ways I enjoy strawberries and rhubarb is in a cobbler. It is so delicious for dessert with a scoop of sweet vanilla ice cream. Strawberries and rhubarb are popular in the spring when they are in season. There are lots of other ways you can cook with them. I really like to use them in making a pie, crisp, crumble, cobbler, or bars.
Prepare the Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
Something I always do when I make strawberry rhubarb cobbler is getting the freshest strawberries and rhubarb I can find. They are available now at farmers’ markets and big grocery stores. Wash them well and dry them with paper towels. I like to cut the strawberries just into quarters so they don’t shrink too much in size. The rhubarb retains its shape and size well when chopped into 1/2 inch length.
After cutting the fruit, they are combined with a mixture of flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. It is important to butter the baking dish you will use before putting the fruit mixture in.
Topping it with a bit of butter and a drizzle of honey helps to add flavor. For the topping in this recipe I didn’t use a lot of it only because I want to see the fruit instead of completely covering them with dough. (You can double the recipe for the topping if you prefer) It is simply a mixture of flour, egg, sugar, butter, baking powder and salt.
As the cobbler bakes in the oven, the whole house smells so good. If you are expecting guests to entertain, this cobbler is perfect to put in the oven right before they arrive. When they walk in the door, the will smell the delicious goodness! Try it and I’m sure everyone will like it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler
- 1 ½ lbs fresh strawberries hulled and quartered
- 3 stalks of rhubarb chopped 1/2 inch long
- ¾ cup sugar
- 5 Tbsp flour
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp nutmeg freshly grated or ground
- pinch salt
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1 Tbsp butter +more for buttering the pan
For the Topping
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cups sugar
- 1 beaten egg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 Tbsp butter softened
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl mix together 5 Tbsp flour, 3/4 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt. Set aside. Butter a 9 x 2 1/2 inch square baking dish.
- Place strawberries and rhubarb in a big bowl. Add the flour and sugar mixture and stir together until well combined. Transfer it into the baking dish. Cut 1 Tbsp of butter into 4 cubes and dot fruit with butter pieces. Drizzle top with 1 Tbsp honey.
- For the topping: In a small bowl mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and beaten egg until well combined. Divide this mixture into 9 equal portions and spoon it on top of the fruit mixture. The dough will spread as it cooks. Bake it in the oven for 50 -55 minutes until it is bubbly and the topping is slightly brown and firm.